I've only just started to really listen to podcasts. Everything is alive is cool, and I like listening to my grade school buddy interviewing CEOs on Hack the Entrepreneur... it's still a trick to find out when I can listen and pay attention (I can't have something just in the background, so for me right now it's while I do dishes or maybe doing laundry).
Now, if you listen to podcasts, you might be listening on Pocket Casts, well as of today the app is now free. So all their basic features (and they will add more they say), but if you want to pay for an upgrade ($10/yr or $1/mo) you'll get apps for more than just the phone as well as access to recording and playback etc..
Free is always a great price for a cheap scot like me! Check out the details with their press release below:
POCKET CASTS NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE
Acclaimed podcasting app now offers its premium features at no cost, while rolling out Pocket Casts Plus for listeners wanting more customization and flexibility
NEW YORK - Sept. 18, 2019 - Starting today, podcast fans all over the world can download the critically acclaimed podcast app, Pocket Casts, for free. Known for its beautiful design and robust set of controls, Pocket Casts is making the entirety of its existing premium features available at no charge. Power users looking for even more customization, however, can upgrade to Pocket Casts Plus for $0.99 per month or $10 per year. With these changes, Pocket Casts is now more closely aligned with the open-access model of its public media ownership.
“Pocket Casts is built for podcast fans, by podcasts fans. Since we launched in 2010, we’ve been obsessed with the user experience and have consistently delivered powerful and intuitive features to the medium’s most passionate fans,” said Pocket Casts CEO Owen Grover. “In today’s rapidly evolving audio landscape, it’s important we stand for free and open access -- not walled gardens -- to grow the medium while delivering the world’s best listening experience.”
The free version of Pocket Casts will continue to add new features, as well as retain all of the existing features that listeners know and love including:
- Discovery: easily search for podcasts, publishers, and hosts or dive deeper with episode search
- Audio effects: playback at variable speeds such as 2X or 3X and trim silence
- Organization: create custom filters to organize episodes based on a variety of parameters
- Design: choose from light, dark or AMOLED-friendly dark themes and icons
- Playback: play individual episodes with or without subscribing, automate file downloads and brand new in this update: play local audio and video files
- Cross-platform sync: pick up exactly where you left off on another device thanks to seamless integrations across iOS and Android; Amazon Echo; Sonos; Chromecast; Airplay, Apple Watch, Carplay and Android Auto
For power listeners who are looking for even more control, Pocket Casts Plus offers:
- Desktop apps including macOS, Windows and Web apps
- Cloud storage for creators and listeners who want to use Pocket Casts for all of their audio and video files
- Exclusive app icons and themes
In May of 2018, Pocket Casts was purchased by NPR, WNYC Studios, WBEZ Chicago and This American Life, who collectively account for nearly 200M podcast downloads per month. These public media giants acquired Pocket Casts to reflect their shared vision: to reach a new generation of listeners while providing the best experience for audio storytellers to connect with their audience.
“Pocket Casts has been my favorite podcast app, and not just because it’s owned by public radio stations," said Ira Glass, producer and host of This American Life. "It really is the best. Easy to navigate, little podcast logos you move around to sort your favorites, quick access to 1.5 speed when I listen to The Daily or Fresh Air or, frankly, most anything else. I’ve recommended it to friends. Glad to hear it’s now going to be free!"
For podcast creators, the announcement highlights how Pocket Casts is committed to growing the medium and bringing the best listening experience to both new and existing podcast fans.
Hailed as the best podcast app for iOS and Android by The Verge, Wired, Engadget and Lif