Okay, so the next 'Galaxy' is now sight. For some folks this is it, the newest of the new. Top of the line. Samsung has really built up quite the following since the first Galaxy S Captivate. I just saw a sponsored ad on my Facebook feed about how iPhone is awesome or something and nearly 99% of all the comments were "not better than my Samsung".
So, what does this new flagship offer? What is new... what's improved? Well, unfortunately I don't have one yet to talk about it specifically and I had some business to take care of over the weekend so I haven't delved into every nook and cranny on this new device, but here's my highlights (full press release below as well):
You can see below for the specs, or just jump to our database page and compare.
The major enhancements this are are:
- spec bump on the processor
- new dual aperture lenses
- super slow mo speeds
- FINGERPRINT SENSOR MOVED!!!
- AR emoji
- Bixby enhancements
So, yeah, my biggest happiness here comes from the fact that the fingerprint sensor is now in the 'proper spot'. Sure, it's not 'under the glass' like we might have dreamed, but having it in an easy to reach place is a huge improvement.
The other thing that has me intrigued is the dual apertures for the single lens. Something I don't think we've seen in a mobile phone before, it's always been a fixed aperture. I've always said that the devices specs can't always keep going up, but they can still get better, and something like that will definitely give the phone an edge to folks out there who are the discerning customer (at $1000 for a phone, you should be a little discerning).
We still have the IP68, Qi charging, iris scanner, 18.5:9 ratio (couldn't just be 2:1, had to be special), but adding features like hte AR emoji feature (a la iPhone's animoji) and a really need super slow mo mode. Cool.
Here's the full press release (and I'm sure there's a ton of other bloggers out there who go to Barcelona to actually play with it).
Built for the Way We Communicate Today: Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+
The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ fuel new discoveries with Super Slow-mo video, low light camera performance and AR Emoji for a more personalized way to express yourself
SEOUL, Korea – Feb. 25, 2018 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. introduces the Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+, the smartphones that reimagine the way we communicate, share and experience the world. Made for the ways we increasingly communicate and express ourselves with images, videos and emojis, the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ drive innovation with our most advanced camera yet. Redesigned with a new Dual Aperture lens that powers an innovative low light camera, Super Slow-mo video capabilities and personalized AR Emoji, the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ ensure you never miss a moment and make your everyday experiences epic.
The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ deliver an enhanced entertainment experience with powerful stereo speakers tuned by AKG, immersive audio with Dolby Atmos and a refined edge-to-edge Infinity Display – a key staple in Samsung design heritage. In addition, the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ will come with the new SmartThings app, which unites Samsung IoT services into one single, smart experience.
“The way we use our smartphones has changed as communication and self-expression has evolved,” said DJ Koh, president and Head of IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “With the Galaxy S9 and S9+, we have reimagined the smartphone camera. Not only does the Galaxy S9 and S9+ enable consumers to shoot the best photos and videos anywhere, it’s a smartphone that’s designed to help them connect to others and express themselves in a way that’s unique and personal to them.”
Today’s cameras are for more than taking pictures – they’re for connecting and communicating. Consumers want a smartphone camera with state-of-the-art technology, so they can express themselves with high-quality images and tools to tell their own, unique story. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ cameras are built with these consumers in mind, with a Super Speed Dual Pixel sensor with dedicated processing power and memory to take amazing shots with high photo quality. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ camera features include:
- Super Slow-mo: Make every day moments epic with dynamic, slow-motion video that captures 960 frames per second. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ also offers automatic Motion Detection, an intelligent feature that detects movement in the frame and automatically begins to record – all users have to do is set up the shot. After capturing the Super Slow-mo video, users can select background music from 35 different options or add a tune from their favourite playlist. Users can also create, edit and share GIF files with a simple tap in three playful styles of looping to watch the action over and over again.
- Low Light Camera: Good lighting is the secret to any great photo. But often, photos are taken in less-than-ideal lighting conditions and most smartphone cameras have a fixed aperture that can’t adjust to low or bright lighting environments resulting in grainy or washed out pictures. Similar to the way the iris of a human eye expands and contracts, Dual Aperture1 (F1.5 – F2.4) automatically lets in more light when it’s dark and less light when it’s too bright, taking photos that are crisp and clear.
- AR Emoji: Samsung lets users create an emoji that looks, sounds and acts just like them. AR Emoji uses a data-based machine learning algorithm, which analyzes a 2D image of the user and maps out more than 100 facial features to create a 3D model that reflects and imitates expressions, like winks and nods, for true personalization. AR Emoji shares users’ real-life emotions not only in video but also with a range of stickers and uses a standard AGIF file format so users can share their emojis across most third-party messaging platforms.
- Bixby: Integrated into the camera, the Samsung intelligence platform uses augmented reality and deep learning technologies to provide helpful information about a user’s surroundings.2 With real-time object detection and recognition, Bixby instantly generates information directly on top of the image that the camera is pointing at. Users can translate foreign languages and currency in real time with Live Translation, learn about their surroundings and purchase products seen in the real world.3
Smartphones are often our go-to choice for entertainment, which is why Samsung created a device that offers premium sound experiences with stereo speakers tuned by AKG. Whether users are watching their favorite movie or streaming their favorite artist’s latest album, sounds are clear, crisp and rich in quality. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ also support Dolby Atmos enabled surround sound, giving the effect of 360-degree sound.
The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ audio experience is complemented by our revolutionary Infinity Display. First introduced on the Galaxy S8, the bold, bright Super AMOLED Infinity Display blends right into the phone with virtually no distracting bezels. With an adaptive contrast enhancement, users can use their device even in direct sunlight.
A Device that Fits with the Connected Lifestyle
As the first smartphone to support the new SmartThings app, the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ are the central hub to manage every facet of the connected lifestyle at home, at the office or on the go. The SmartThings App will be introduced with S9 and Galaxy S9+ and will connect to other Samsung and non-Samsung devices.
For those constantly on the move, the next-generation Samsung DeX empowers a mobile lifestyle by bringing a large, full-screen experience to the mobile handset. With DeX Pad, a new docking system, users can easily connect the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ to a larger monitor, keyboard and mouse to expand the mobile experience with enhanced document editing or even full-screen gaming. Users can transform the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ into a Touch Keyboard4 and Touch Pad with the DeX Pad.5
The Best Comes Standard with the Galaxy FoundationSamsung sets the standard for smartphones including IP68 water and dust resistance, and fast wireless charging. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ now support expandable memory of up to 400GB6 and are equipped with the latest premium application processors offering powerful performance, fast network speeds and sophisticated image processing.
In addition, the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ give users the peace of mind knowing that their phone is better protected by Knox 3.1, the Samsung latest defense-grade security platform. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ support three different biometric authentication options – iris, fingerprint, and facial recognition – so users can choose the best way to protect their device and applications. The devices support Intelligent Scan, a new verification mode that intelligently fuses the collective strength of iris scanning and facial recognition technology to quickly and conveniently unlock a user’s phone in any environment. The Galaxy S9 and S9+ introduce Dedicated Fingerprint, giving users the option to use a different fingerprint to access Secure Folder than the one used to unlock the phone.
Preorder and Availability
In Canada, Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+ will be offered in Lilac Purple and Titanium Grey. Preorders will begin February 25th and in stores beginning .
Consumers can trade in their old phone between February 25, 2018 and April 9th, 2018 to receive a minimum of $100 off in addition to the trade-in value when purchasing the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9+*.
For more information about the Galaxy S9, visit http://www.samsung.com/ca/
Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9+ Product Specifications
Android 8 (Oreo)
5.8-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:97,8(570ppi)
6.2-inch Quad HD + Curved Super AMOLED, 18.5:97,8(529ppi)
147.7mm x 68.7mm x 8.5mm, 163g, IP689
158.1mm x 73.8mm x 8.5mm, 189g, IP689
Rear: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor with OIS (F1.5/F2.4)
Front: 8MP AF (F1.7)
Rear: Dual Camera with Dual OIS
- Wide-angle: Super Speed Dual Pixel 12MP AF sensor (F1.5/F2.4)
- Telephoto: 12MP AF sensor (F2.4)
- Front: 8MP AF (F1.7)
10nm, 64-bit, Octa-core processor (2.8 GHz Quad + 1.7 GHz Quad)10
64GB + Micro SD Slot (up to 400 GB)11
64GB + Micro SD Slot (up to 400GB)11
Fast Wired Charging compatible with QC 2.0
Fast Wireless Charging compatible with WPC and PMA
Enhanced 4X4 MIMO / CA, LAA, LTE Cat.14
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO 256QAM, Bluetooth® v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), ANT+, USB type-C, NFC, Location (GPS, Galileo, Glonass, BeiDou)12
Iris sensor, Pressure sensor, Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint sensor, Gyro sensor, Geomagnetic sensor, Hall sensor, HR sensor, Proximity sensor, RGB Light sensor
Lock type: pattern, PIN, password
Biometric lock type: iris scanner, fingerprint scanner, face recognition, Intelligent Scan: biometric authentication with iris scanning and facial recognition
Stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos enabled surround sound,
Audio playback format: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
Gear VR with Controller (SM-R325NZVAXAR), Google Daydream View
DeX Pad: Cooling Fan, HDMI, USB 2.0 (2), USB C-type port for charging
DeX Station: Cooling Fan, HDMI, Ethernet, USB 2.0 (2), USB C-type port for charging
 The Dual Aperture supports F1.5 mode and F2.4 mode. Dual Aperture is installed on the rear camera (Galaxy S9) and rear wide-camera (Galaxy S9+)
2 Bixby service ability may vary by country or carrier. Samsung Account log-in and data network (wifi or internet connection) required to fully operate Bixby features. Voice Command recognizes English (U.S.), Mandarin Chinese and Korean. Not all accents, dialects and expressions are recognized. Voice Command works with a select, growing list of Samsung and third-party apps. See “Apps with Voice” in Bixby for a list of compatible apps.
3 Samsung Account log-in and data network (wifi or internet connection) required. Translation speed may vary depending on internet connection and word count. This function is limited to selected languages. For the full list of languages please visit www.samsung.com/galaxy
4 Touch Keyboard function to be included in the upcoming software update.
5 DeX Pad will come with HDMI cable, wall charger and data cable. Use of original HDMI cable and charger included with DeX Pad is recommended. Accessories including monitor sold separately. To utilize DeX (Galaxy Desktop), either DeX Station or DeX Pad is required. Both are sold separately. May not be available at time of launch. Certain apps may not run or may require license (for purchase) on Samsung DeX. DeX Pad supports Galaxy S9/S9+ only. (Galaxy S8/S8+ and Galaxy Note8 may be supported later with OS update.)
6 Memory sold separately.
6 Memory sold separately.
7 Screen measured diagonally as a full rectangle without accounting for the rounded corners
8 Default resolution is Full HD+ and can be changed to Quad HD+ (WQHD+) in Settings
9 Carrying an IP68 dust and water resistance rating. Based on test conditions of submersion in up to 1.5 meters of fresh water for up to 30 minutes
10 May differ by market and mobile operator
11 User memory is less than the total memory due to storage of the operating system and software used to operate the device features. Actual user memory will vary depending on the operator and may change after software upgrades are performed.
12 Galileo and BeiDou coverage may be limited
*All functionality, features, specifications and other product information provided in this document including, but not limited to, the benefits, design, pricing, components, performance, availability, and capabilities of the product are subject to change without notice or obligation
* Conditions apply. Purchase a Samsung Galaxy S9|S9+ device between from a participating authorized Canadian carrier, retailer, Samsung Experience Store location, or at http://www.samsung.com/ca/ during the offer period and, when you trade in your old phone, receive a minimum $100 off in addition to the trade-in value of your phone. The minimum $100 credit is eligible for one (1) traded-in old phone in connection with the purchase of one (1) Samsung Galaxy S9|S9+ device; i.e., two or more traded-in old phones cannot be combined towards a higher credit on the purchase of a Samsung Galaxy S9|S9+, and can only be redeemed in one location. Proof of purchase required. While quantities last. No rain checks. No cash value. Offer is subject to change or cancellation without notice. See full Terms and Conditions available at www.samsung.com/ca/promotions for more details and how to redeem your credit. For more information on the trade-in offer, visit www.galaxyupgrade.ca