BlackBerry is getting closer and close to releasing its first Android device, the PRIV. It is said the device will be released November 6, 2015.
It has now been confirmed that both Bell and Rogers Wireless will carry the BlackBerry PRIV. On a 2-year contract, it will cost $399.99, or $799.99 is you choose to buy it outright.
UPDATE 10/26/2015: It has been confirmed that Telus and Wind Mobile will also carry the PRIV. I am awaiting confirmation from MTS and SaskTel.
UPDATE 10/29/2015: Good news to my fellow Manitobans! MTS will carry the PRIV in "early November". Source: https://community.mts.ca/mts/topics/blackberry-priv-ee65dojyiotus
UPDATE 11/26/2015: Well, it isn't early in November anymore, but the PRIV is now available at MTS as well. https://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wireless/devices/smartphones/priv+by+blackberry
More official specifications have been released for the smartphone as well. They are as follows;
• Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
• 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 SoC with @ 1.8 GHz Cortex-A57
• Adreno 418 , 600MHz GPU
• Curved 5.43-inch display with 2560 x 1440 resolution, 540 DPI, Corning Gorilla Glass 4
• 3GB Low Power RAM
• 32GB internal storage (w/ microSD slot that holds up to 2TB)
• 18MP dual-flash Schneider-Kreuznach camera, optical image stabilization (OIS), 4k Video Recording
• 2MP Fixed-Focus front-facing camera, 720p HD video recording
• Physical Sliding Keyboard, Dedicated Keys: Volume Up/Down, Mute, Lock(Power On/Off)
• 3,410mAh battery w/ Fast Charge that gives “up to 22.5 hours”
• Keyboard Security: Password protection, Screen lock, and Sleep mode
• Additional security with associated DTEK app by BlackBerry
• 147 (184 opened) x 77.2 x 9.4mm. 192 grams
• LTE Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 17, 20, 29,30
The cost of this smartphone is certainly on the high-side. It will be very interesting to see how well it does. I for one, would love to get my hands on one, especially for that physical keyboard. The cost though is making me shy away...